Friday, March 26, 2010

"Real" Food vs. "Fake" Food


All through growing up, I have been an avid cheese eater. My sister and I used to love eating slices of cheddar and swiss, by themselves or with crackers, as an afterschool snack and we still put tons of parmesan on our spaghetti. Unfortunately, as soon as I went to college, the habit of eating cheese as an after class snack quickly dwindled. This being due to low funds and a dorm fridge that keeps little cold. Now, most of the cheese I eat comes in powder form thanks to the ever popular Kraft Easy Mac, cheese popcorn, and Ritz crackers that are always present in our room. Sadly this can hardly be called a substitute for the real thing.

Not only does this cheese substitute not taste near as great, but they cannot even compare when it comes to nutritional value, and thank goodness none of these products have yet to claim that they do (as far as I am aware anyways). This fact is nicely demonstrated in an article by Scott Kustes, in which he compares the nutritional services of several “fake” foods with their “real” counterparts and why a person is better off going the natural way. I must say though, one of the great things about processed cheese is that you always know it is processed cheese. Characterized by the extremely bright yellow/orange color and the fact that it never actually tastes like the real deal, it is a bit hard to miss amongst the shelves of other foods at the grocery store. The only thing the two share in common is that all cheese, no matter what form, smells like cheese.

Fortunately, I know that as soon as I head back home for break I will gladly be able to partake in the true form of cheese once again.

*image taken from SamCooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment