Monday, April 19, 2010

Preparing a Meal


Recently, a group of my friends and I got together and decided to have a homemade meal night. The first step was deciding what we all wanted to make. We figured spaghetti would be easy enough, and everyone would each make a different part of the meal, in order to split costs. I got the part of making our sauce, and after remembering how good my mom makes it back home, decided to give her a call to get the proper ingredients. Making this meal was a lot of fun because all of my friends were working towards a common goal: eating really good food. We all got to work in the kitchen together, using the time to relax and not worry about school. Each step was important because we wanted to make sure all the food worked together. You did not want too much sauce, or too many noodles, we had to figure out who was making what, where we were eating, and other little details. It really took some thinking ahead on our parts.

After reading the section in In Defense of Food, I agree with what Pollan has to say. For the most part, we as Americans do not east food to relax and enjoy the food and the company along with it, but merely eat quickly as possible without concerning ourselves with whether or not it actually tastes good, but with the fact that it is low fat and had needed nutrients in it. The blog Blisstree describes how actually taking the time to eat and enjoy our food can overall help us to become healthier.

I think that the meal my friends and I created does not affect my opinion. For the most part we were doing exactly as Pollan describes we should be. We were not concerned about whether or not what we were making was every definition of healthy, but more concerned about whether or not we were having fun together while we made it.

*image taken from google images

No comments:

Post a Comment